Educated, no. Stupid, yes. And when I say stupid, I mean stupid fresh.
1. Apparently there were Rock Hall of Fame shenanigans happening up the street at the Barclays Center last night, followed by a secret Nirvana show at some club in Brooklyn. Which is all well and fine, and I love Nirvana as much as everyone else who was 17 in 1993, but this is also a “hall of fame” that still does not include Husker Du, The Pixies, The Smiths, Joy Division, The Replacements, etc. so do we really care?
Or rather, do we care because Hall and Oates were also (finally) inducted last night? The latter, obviously.
2. Favorite comment on that Gothamist article: “Krist Novoselic looks like shit. Nice shirt Krist.”
3. Speaking of nice shirts, nerds, I popped into Uniqlo this week to look at their Star Wars shirts again, and they totally had E.T. shirts. For men. Adult men. Ironically, it is because I wish to strongly identify as an adult man that I did not buy myself one, but that was totally a mistake, right? Also, they had no Boba Fett shirts left in my size.
4. On the subject of movies, your must read cinema article on the week is Nathan Rabin’s thoughtful look at Spike Lee’s underrated sophomore film School Daze. After I saw Do the Right Thing in the summer of ’89, I became obsessed with Spike Lee, and sought out his two prior films on VHS. I remember not entirely knowing what to make of School Daze at the time, but this article makes me really excited to watch it again.
5. Finally, because Spring is here, and it looks like it’s going to be a lovely weekend, please enjoy an appropriately awesome warm weather jam from the halcyon days of 1996.